As I sit here, waiting in anticipation of the coming blizzard, I start thinking of some fun projects to do with my daughter. Though my daughter is now 14 years old, I think these fun crafts are great for any age. And best of all, they can be done with most items that are probably already in your home.
These edible snowmen will be fun to make and fun to eat! To make edible snowmen, you will need the following ingredients:
* Jumbo-sized marshmallows;
* White frosting;
* Mini chocolate chips or raisins;
* Mini M&M’s;
* Pretzel sticks;
* Peanut butter cups or chocolate kisses
- Take three large marshmallows and push them through one end of a pretzel stick.
- Give the snowman eyes by “gluing” on raisins or mini chocolate chips with the frosting.
- Use two pretzel sticks for arms. (If you have mini marshmallows, you can also push those onto the arms if you would like)
- Decorate the rest of your snowman with M&M’s or any other small food décor items you may have in your home. Let your imagination guide you.
- Top your snowmen off with adorable hats using either peanut butter cups or chocolate kisses.
Puffy foam paint
Puffy foam paint is really easy and lots of fun to make. To make puffy foam paint you will need the following ingredients:
- White shaving cream;
- Elmer's glue or any white glue that is similar to Elmer’s glue;
- Food coloring.
Blend equal amounts of shaving cream and glue for each color of paint you want to make. Next, add 1 or 2 drops of your desired choice of food coloring and mix with a craft stick or toothpick. A good idea is to use an old ice cube tray to make a myriad of different colors. Be creative and mix different colors to come up with unique shades.
When you are done, let the paint set for 2 minutes. Next, paint away!
Have a Light Show
To create a really fun light show, you will need the following:
- Balloons in various colors;
- Rubber bands;
To start, take a balloon and cut up the side lengthwise. Next, stretch the balloon over the lightbulb part of a flashlight. Then, secure the balloon in place with a rubber band. The more you stretch the balloon over the flashlight, the thinner it will become, making a lighter and brighter color beam.
Now, have your light show! Go into a dark room that has a lot of wall space and aim your colored flashlights at the walls and have a fascinating light show. This also makes for great entertainment at sleepovers.
Spray-paint the Snow
Your kids can create a magical winter wonderland with homemade washable spray paint. To make washable spray paint you will need the following ingredients:
- Warm water;
- Food coloring;
- Funnel or measuring cup;
- Spray bottles (if using any spray bottles that once contained cleaners, be sure to wash thoroughly)
To start, mix 1/4 cup of cornstarch with 1 cup of warm water and food coloring; use as much food coloring as you need to get the desired shade you are looking for.
Next, take the sprayer part of your spray bottle off and put your funnel over the opening of the bottle. Pour the paint into your spray bottle. If you don’t have a funnel, mix your paint in a container that has a spout, such a measuring cup, to easily pour your paint into the spray bottle.
Now, go on out and spray away! Just make sure to only spray on your own property. To prevent clogging, shake your spray bottle frequently.
Who says the best things in life aren't free?